Monday, March 14, 2011

Is Spam getting a bad name?

When I first tried to eat Spam as a youngster I hated it. My parents didn't like it either, and I knew that before I tried it, hence the reason I hated it. As an adult, I began to appreciate Spam as kind of a delicacy, a low class tinned meat made from mystery meats but with a storied past. I still don't like it though. Well, there are now two different kinds of Spam, the brand name food product and the lower case internet kind.

I am really tired of internet spam. It's like being forced to eat Spam every day for every meal. Now, just since yesterday afternoon, I have emails from unintelligible sources telling me they were referred by a friend,  the ubiquitous business proposals from foreign governments, requests from companies I do business with telling me they need me to re-enter my financial information, survey opportunities with big rewards, money making schemes that are just a click away and the usual prurient offers to make your body into something it isn't. It's kind of like buying a can of Spam expecting a medium rare T-bone steak inside. The difference is that you can eat Spam and imagine it's a steak without getting sick, but if you click on promising spam emails, what it does to your computer WILL make you sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment