Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The world according to Milt Thomas

I just googled my blog and discovered there is another 'The world according to Milt.' So, I've changed the title of my blog to 'The world according to Milt THOMAS.'  In the scheme of things, this has little significance when compared to the world's problems, but it is MY name and these are MY thoughts and opinions, not the thoughts and opinions of some other Milt.

Uh oh. I just googled 'Milt Thomas' and sure enough, there are other Milt Thomas's too! That doesn't surprise me because I am actually Milt Thomas JR, named after my father. I didn't appreciate being named Milton, especially since that wasn't my father's real name.

His mother (my grandmother) decided to call him Milton because of some dispute with HER mother-in-law. Thomas wasn't his real name, either. It was the last name of her second husband (she had four husbands altogether). She changed it because of the same mother-in-law dispute.

Now, my great-grandmother Leah, the source of all this confusion affecting my blog, was probably a decent person. I know her daughter-in-law, my grandmother, wasn't. She had a wide array of skeletons in her closet, and had disputes with many different people, including my father.

You know, I am beginning to feel like I'm in that Microsoft Bing commercial where everyone goes into a mindless stupor quoting information from Google searches. So, on that note I will leave Milt enough alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment